Enable Continuous Efficiency for Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
Harness Continuous Efficiency (CE) monitors cloud costs using your GCP products, projects, SKUs, and location. As a first step, you connect Harness to your GCP account to get insights into your cloud infrastructure and GCP services, Compute Engine Cloud Storage, BigQuery, etc. CE displays the data for your connected GCP services for further analysis.
In this topic:
- Before You Begin
- Step 1: Connect to Google Cloud Platform (GCP) Account
- Step 2: Enable Cloud Billing Export to the BigQuery Dataset and Grant Permission
- Next Steps
Before You Begin
Step 1: Connect to Google Cloud Platform (GCP) Account
Connect Harness to your GCP account to get insights into your cloud infrastructure and GCP services.
- In Continuous Efficiency, click Settings and then click Cloud Accounts.
- In Cloud Accounts, click Connect to your GCP billing account.
- In Connect to Google Cloud Platform (GCP) Account, in Account Name, enter a name that describes this account.
- To create the required IAM Role and assign it to the Harness Service Account, click Follow these instructions, and then follow the detailed instructions in Harness.
- Click Save & Continue.
Step 2: Enable Cloud Billing Export to the BigQuery Dataset and Grant Permission
Cloud Billing Export to BigQuery helps you export detailed Google Cloud billing data (such as usage and cost estimate data) to a BigQuery dataset that you specify. The export happens throughout the day automatically. Next, in CE, you can access your Cloud Billing data from BigQuery for detailed analysis.
To export a cloud billing report to the BigQuery dataset and grant the required permission, follow the detailed instructions in Harness.
- In Billing Account Name, enter the name of the billing account you want to manage.
- In Project ID, enter the ID of the GCP project running the BigQuery dataset you want to use.
- In Dataset ID, enter a unique dataset name.
- Click Back to go to the Connect to Google Cloud Platform (GCP) Account tab to modify any settings.
- Click Submit. Details of the connected GCP account are displayed.
As noted earlier, after enabling CE, it takes about 24 hours for the data to be available for viewing and analysis in Cost Explorer.