Custom Dashboards provide a toolbox for building your own visual interface around Harness data using flexible filtering and criteria. By creating and fine-tuning visualizations that slice and dice your data, you can identify and optimize:
- Development and deployment velocity
- Rollback durations and other useful metrics
In this topic:
- Overview of Custom Dashboards
- Manage Groups and Permissions for Custom Dashboards
- Navigate Through Custom Dashboards
- Next Steps
Overview of Custom Dashboards
Custom Dashboards expand on Harness Manager's default Main and Services Dashboards. They enable you to visualize and prioritize the deployment and related data that matters to you in flexible display formats. Custom Dashboards provide the following benefits:
- Each authorized Harness user has the option to build multiple dashboards for different reporting purposes.
- You can create each dashboard around Harness’ rich set of setup, runtime, and instance data.
- You can insert Harness' Primary Widgets or build your own Custom Widgets. Primary Widgets display basic DevOps metrics like deployment frequency, lead time to production, mean time to restore, and change failure rate. You can further refine all Widgets to meet your needs.
- Once you've placed your Widgets, simply drag to resize or rearrange them in this visual interface. Custom Dashboards remain editable when they're reopened.
- You can choose to share each dashboard with one or more Harness User Groups.
Manage Groups and Permissions for Custom Dashboards
Administrators can create User Groups with particular permission sets that accommodate particular audiences. For example, managers might need broad access to view and customize dashboards for reporting purposes, but not require permissions to alter the underlying Harness entities. For these users, you could create a group that includes the
Administer Other Account Functions permission, but has limited Application permissions.
A user who belongs to at least one User Group that has the
Administer Other Account Functions permission is an Account Administrator. These users can:
- View all Custom Dashboards on your Harness account—regardless of whether a dashboard has been shared with this, or any, User Group.
- Create, configure, modify, and delete Custom Dashboards.
- Add, configure, modify, and delete Widgets within Custom Dashboards.
A user who belongs to no User Group with
Administer Other Account Functions permission is a non‑administrator. These users can:
- View only Custom Dashboards that they've created themselves, or Custom Dashboards explicitly shared with at least one User Group to which they belong.
- Refresh data on dashboards' Widgets.
- Resize and move Widgets within dashboards. (But not add, reconfigure, or delete Widgets.)
Navigate Through Custom Dashboards
Once you have one or more Custom Dashboards available to you, the Custom Dashboards page lists them as the following:
This list view provides the following controls:
To view a Custom Dashboard, click its name in the list view's Name column.