Filters, Groups, and Tags in Primary and Custom Widgets
Many Primary Widget and Custom Widget types offer you the option to filter and/or group by multiple Harness entities and Tags. This provides flexibility to define and display complex relationships among your data. However, sometimes because of over-filtering, the desired data gets hidden or an unwarranted No Data! error is returned.
Filter conditions are not validated when you preview, create, or update a Widget. Therefore, as you add filter conditions and filter values, consider the points outlined in this topic.
In this topic:
Before You Begin
- Custom Dashboards
- Primary Widgets
- Custom Widgets
- Create and Manage Custom Dashboards
- Add and Configure Primary Widgets
- Add and Configure Custom Widgets
Add Data Filter
Click Add Data Filter to begin defining a filter. Use the resulting Select Filter Type drop-down to select which Harness entity or Tag to use as the filter.
In most Widgets, the Add Data Filter link remains available to add more filters. Multiple filter rows combine using AND search logic. Each filter that you add can further narrow the returned data.
The adjacent Select Filter Values drop-down allows multiple selections. Within a given filter, values combine using OR search logic. Each value that you add can broaden the data retrievable with this filter.
To remove a filter, click the trash-can icon at its right.
Each Tag filter can target only a single entity type (Application, Environment, or Service). To filter on one or more Tags across multiple entities, add more filter rows.
Here are some tips about how to avoid unintended filter results.
- Adding a filter target with no filter value doesn't restrict the Widget's data. The incomplete examples below don't actually function as filters.
- Do not filter on an entity name, or Tag value, that's not used on the Harness entity (Metric) you're charting. This will generate a No Data! error when you preview, create, or update the Widget.