1 - Delegate and Connectors for Lambda
- Delegate Setup
This topic sets up the Harness Delegate, Artifact Server, and Cloud Provider for your Lambda Deployment.
In this topic:
The Harness Delegate runs in your AWS VPC and executes all deployment steps, such the artifact collection and commands. The Delegate makes outbound HTTPS connections to the Harness Manager only.
The simplest method is to install a Harness Shell Script or ECS Delegate in same AWS VPC as your Lambda functions and then set up the Harness AWS Cloud Provider to use the same IAM credentials as the installed Delegate. This is described in Add the Cloud Provider below.
For steps on installing a Delegate in your VPC, see Delegate Installation and Management.
IAM Read Access
Ensure that the IAM role assigned to the Delegate host has the IAMReadOnlyAccess (arn:aws:iam::aws:policy/IAMReadOnlyAccess) policy attached. The policy provides read-only access to IAM for the Delegate so that it can confirm that it has other required policies.
The Lambda function metadata is pulled from an AWS S3 bucket and therefore the Delegate needs the AmazonS3ReadOnlyAccess (arn:aws:iam::aws:policy/AmazonS3ReadOnlyAccess) policy.
EC2 and ECS
The Delegate might be a Shell Script Delegate installed on an EC2 instance or an ECS Delegate installed on an ECS cluster. The required policies for the Delegate are described here:
- ECS (Existing Cluster) - AmazonEC2ContainerServiceforEC2Role and a custom Harness policy.
- AWS EC2 - AmazonEC2FullAccess.
AWS Lambda Policies
For the Delegate to perform operations with Lambda, it requires an IAM role with the following policies:
- AWSLambdaFullAccess (arn:aws:iam::aws:policy/AWSLambdaFullAccess)
- AWSLambdaRole (arn:aws:iam::aws:policy/service-role/AWSLambdaRole)
The IAM role attached to your EC2 Delegate host must have the AWSLambdaRole (arn:aws:iam::aws:policy/service-role/AWSLambdaRole) policy attached. The policy contains the
lambda:InvokeFunction needed for Lambda deployments:
Attach the AWSLambdaRole (arn:aws:iam::aws:policy/service-role/AWSLambdaRole) policy to the IAM role for the Delegate host in EC2 or ECS.
For more information, see Identity-based IAM Policies for AWS Lambda from AWS.
If the IAM role assigned to the Delegate has the following roles you will encounter no related issues:
- Shell Script Delegate on EC2 instance policies or ECS Delegate policies
Policy Requirements for Serverless Dashboard
The Function Invocations are updated every 10 minutes.
To ensure the IAM role applied to the Delegate you installed in the AWS VPC is used by your AWS Cloud Provider, you add Selectors to the Delegate and reference the Selector in the AWS Cloud Provider.
For steps on adding Selectors, see Delegate Installation and Management.
Connectors and Providers Setup
In this section, we will add a Harness AWS Cloud Provider to your Harness account to connect to both AWS S3, Lambda, and the VPC. You can use a single or separate AWS Cloud Providers for the connections, but using a single AWS Cloud Provider is easiest.
The AWS Cloud Provider in this example will assume the IAM Role associated with the Delegate you installed in your VPC. If you choose to use a AWS user account for the connection, apply the same policies to its IAM role described in IAM Roles above.
Add the Cloud Provider
For the AWS Cloud Provider in Harness, you can specify an AWS account or assume the IAM role used by the installed Harness Delegate (recommended).
AWS Cloud Provider
To set up an AWS Cloud Provider, do the following:
- In the Harness Manager, click Setup, and then click Cloud Providers.
- Click Add Cloud Provider. The Cloud Provider dialog appears.
- In Type, select Amazon Web Services.
- In Display Name, enter the name that you will use to refer to this Cloud Provider when setting up your Harness Application, such as AWS Cloud. You will use the name when setting up Harness Environments, Service Infrastructures, and other settings.
- In Credentials, select Assume IAM Role on Delegate (recommended) or Enter AWS Access Keys manually. If you selected Enter AWS Access Keys manually, enter your username and password.
If you selected Assume IAM Role on Delegate, in Delegate Selector, select the Selector that you added to the Delegate installed in your VPC.