1 - Harness Kubernetes Delegate
The Harness Kubernetes Delegate runs in your target deployment cluster and executes all deployment steps, such the artifact collection and kubectl commands. The Delegate makes outbound connections to the Harness Manager only.
You can install and run the Harness Kubernetes Delegate in any Kubernetes environment, but the permissions needed for connecting Harness to that environment will be different for each environment.
For information on how to install the Delegate in a Kubernetes cluster, see Kubernetes Cluster. For an example installation of the Delegate in a Kubernetes cluster in a Cloud Platform, see Installation Example: Google Cloud Platform.
Here is a quick summary of the steps for installing the Harness Delegate in your Kubernetes cluster:
- In Harness, click Setup, and then click Harness Delegates.
- Click Download Delegate and then click Kubernetes YAML.
- In the Delegate Setup dialog, enter a name for the Delegate, such as doc-example, and click SUBMIT. the YAML file is downloaded to your machine.
- Install the Delegate in your cluster. You can copy the YAML file to your cluster any way you choose, but the following steps describe a common method.
- In a Terminal, connect to the Kubernetes cluster, and then use the same terminal to navigate to the folder where you downloaded the Harness Delegate YAML file. For example, cd ~/Downloads.
- Extract the YAML file:
tar -zxvf harness-delegate-kubernetes.tar.gz.
- Navigate to the harness-delegate folder that was created:
- Paste the following installation command into the Terminal and press enter:
kubectl apply -f harness-delegate.yaml
You will see the following output (this Delegate is named doc-example):
- Run this command to verify that the Delegate pod was created:
kubectl get pods -n harness-delegate
You will see output with the status Pending. The Pending status simply means that the cluster is still loading the pod.
Wait a few moments for the cluster to finish loading the pod and for the Delegate to connect to Harness Manager.
In Harness Manager, in the Harness Delegates page, the new Delegate will appear. You can refresh the page if you like.
Note the Delegate name. You will use this name when you set up the Kubernetes Cluster Cloud Provider in Connectors and Providers Setup. the name is used to assign this Delegate to the all operations made using the Kubernetes Cluster Cloud Provider.
You might also want to use Delegate Profiles and Delegate Scope to further Delegate configuration. See Delegate Installation and Management.
client-onlyoption, as described in Common Delegate Profile Scripts.