- Verification Setup Overview
- Intended Audience
- Before You Begin
- Connect to Dynatrace
- Verify with Dynatrace
- Verification Results
- Next Steps
Dynatrace provides constant monitoring of your application to manage performance and availability, and to provide diagnosis of performance problems and allow optimization across your stack. You can add a Dynatrace verification step to your workflow and Dynatrace will be used by Harness to verify the performance and quality of your deployments.
With Dynatrace integration, Harness can deploy and verify the performance of artifacts instantly in every environment. When a new artifact is deployed, Harness automatically connects to Dynatrace and starts analyzing the application/service performance data to understand the real business impact of each deployment.
Harness applies unsupervised machine learning (Hidden Markov models and Symbolic Aggregate Representation) to understand whether performance deviated for key business transactions and flags performance regressions accordingly.
Analysis with Dynatrace
Verification Setup Overview
You set up Dynatrace and Harness in the following way:
- Using Dynatrace, you monitor your microservice or application.
- In Harness, you connect Harness to the Dynatrace API, adding Dynatrace as a Harness Verification Provider.
- After you have built and run a successful deployment of your microservice or application in Harness, you then add Dynatrace verification steps to your Harness deployment workflow.
- Harness uses Dynatrace to verify your future microservice/application deployments.
- Harness Continuous Verification uses unsupervised machine-learning to analyze your deployments and Dynatrace analytics/logs, discovering events that might be causing your deployments to fail. Then you can use this information to improve your deployments.
Before You Begin
- Dynatrace access token: A user-generated Dynatrace access token is required for Harness to access the Dynatrace API. The process for generating the token is described below.
- Verification Providers
- Add a Workflow
Connect to Dynatrace
Connect Harness to Dynatrace to have Harness verify the success of your deployments. Harness will use your tools to verify deployments and use its machine learning features to identify sources of failures.
Before you can add Dynatrace as a Harness verification provider, you need to generate a Dynatrace access token, as described below.
Generate Dynatrace Access Token
Dynatrace requires token-based authentication for accessing the Dynatrace API. For more information, see Access tokens from Dynatrace.
To generate a Dynatrace access token, do the following:
- Log into your Dynatrace environment.
- In the navigation menu, click Settings, and then click Integration.
- Select Dynatrace API. The Dynatrace API page appears.
- Enter a token name in the text field. The default Dynatrace API token switches are sufficient for Harness.
- Click Generate. The token appears in the token list.
- Click Edit. The token details appear.
- Click Copy. You will use this token when connecting Harness to Dynatrace, described below.
Add Dynatrace as a Verification Provider
To add Dynatrace as a verification provider, do the following:
- In Harness, click Setup.
- Click Connectors.
- Click Verification Providers.
- Click Add Verification Provider, and select Dynatrace. The Dynatrace dialog for your provider appears.
The Dynatrace dialog has the following fields.
The URL of your Dynatrace account. The URL has the following syntax:
Paste in the API token you created in Dynatrace, described above.
The name for the Dynatrace verification provider connection in Harness. If you will have multiple Dynatrace connections, enter a unique name.
You will use this name to select this connection when integrating Dynatrace with the Verify Steps of your workflows, described below.
If you want to restrict the use of a provider to specific applications and environments, do the following:
In Usage Scope, click the drop-down under Applications, and click the name of the application.
In Environments, click the name of the environment.
Verify with Dynatrace
The following procedure describes how to add Dynatrace as a verification step in a Harness workflow. For more information about workflows, see Add a Workflow.
Once you run a deployment and Dynatrace preforms verification, Harness' machine-learning verification analysis will assess the risk level of the deployment.
To verify your deployment with Dynatrace, do the following:
- Ensure that you have added Dynatrace as a verification provider, as described above.
- In your workflow, under Verify Service, click Add Verification, and then click Dynatrace. The Dynatrace dialog appears.
The Dynatrace dialog has the following fields.
This dropdown contains the names of the Dynatrace verification providers you added, as described above.
Enter the SERVICE_METHOD IDs of your key transactions. These are the service methods (key business transactions) you want to verify in addition to a verification time period (the default is 15 minutes).
Harness is working with Dynatrace to update their API so you can just select an application or service name and it will automatically verify all key business transactions associated by default.
To find the SERVICE_METHOD ID of a transaction, do the following:
Analysis Time duration
Set the duration for the verification step. If a verification step exceeds the value, the workflow Failure Strategy is triggered. For example, if the Failure Strategy is Ignore, then the verification state is marked Failed but the workflow execution continues.
Baseline for Risk Analysis
Select Previous Analysis to have this verification use the previous analysis for a baseline comparison. If your workflow is a Canary workflow type, you can select Canary Analysis to have this verification compare old versions of nodes to new versions of nodes in real-time.
When you are finished, click SUBMIT. The Dynatrace verification step is added to your workflow.
Once you have deployed your workflow (or pipeline) using the Dynatrace verification step, you can automatically verify cloud application and infrastructure performance across your deployment. For more information, see Add a Workflow and Add a Pipeline.
To see the results of Harness machine-learning evaluation of your Dynatrace verification, in your workflow or pipeline deployment you can expand the Verify Service step and then click the Dynatrace step.
You can also see the evaluation in the Continuous Verification dashboard. The workflow verification view is for the DevOps user who developed the workflow. The Continuous Verification dashboard is where all future deployments are displayed for developers and others interested in deployment analysis.
To learn about the verification analysis features, see the following sections.
Verification phases and providers
Risk level analysis
Tune event capture