1 – Instana Connection Setup
The first step in using Instana with Harness is to set up a Instana Verification Provider in Harness.
A Harness Verification Provider is a connection to monitoring tools such as Instana. Once Harness is connected, you can use Harness 24/7 Service Guard and Deployment Verification with your Instana data and analysis.
Instana Verification Provider Setup
To add Instana as a verification provider:
- Click Setup.
- Click Connectors, and then click Verification Providers.
- Click Add Verification Provider, and select Instana. The Add Instana Verification Provider dialog appears.
- Complete the following fields in this dialog.On Instana, you must have the account owner role to create the API token needed to connect Harness to Instana.
Enter a display name for the provider. If you are going to use multiple providers of the same type, ensure that you give each provider a different name.
Enter the URL of the Instana server, such as:
Enter your Instana API token.
To create an API key in Instana, do the following:
- In Instana Settings, select Team Settings > API Tokens.
- Select Add API Token.
- On the resulting New API Token page, enter a name for the new API key, such as Harness.
- Under Permssions, enable Service & Endpoint Mapping.
- Copy the value from the API Token field, and save the token.
- In Harness, paste the token's value into the API Token field.
If you want to scope (restrict) the use of your Instana Verification Provider to specific Harness Applications and/or Environments, you can do so in this Usage Scope section.
The default rows here grant access to All Applications in Production Environments, and All Applications in Production Environments. To override these permissive scopes:
- Click the X beside default rows to remove them.
- Click Add Row to define your own scopes.
- In the new row's Application column, click the Select Application drop-down to select an Application.
- In the new row's Environments column, click the Select Environment drop-down to select an Environment.
- Repeat the preceding steps to add additional scopes.
Testing and Saving Your Setup
- After you have filled in the Add Instana Verification Provider dialog's settings, click Test to confirm them.
- Once the test is successful, click Submit to create your new Instana Connector.