Create a Budget
Harness CE Budgets allow you to set custom budgets and receive alerts when your costs exceed (or are forecasted to exceed) your budget. You can create budgets for Harness Applications and clusters.
You can monitor your budgets and compare actual costs to your budgets and forecasts. See Using the Budget Dashboard.
In this topic:
- Before You Begin
- Step 1: Set Your Monthly Budget
- Step 2: Configure Alert
- Using the Budget Dashboard
- Next Steps
Before You Begin
- Continuous Efficiency Overview
- Set Up Cost Visibility for Kubernetes
- Set Up Cost Visibility for Kubernetes Using an Existing Delegate
Step 1: Set Your Monthly Budget
- In Continuous Efficiency, click Budgets, and then click Create Budget.
- Enter Budget name.
- In Applies to, you can set scope for the budget. Select Applications or Clusters, and then select the Harness Applications or clusters to monitor.
- If you select Clusters, select the clusters for this budget.
- If you selected Applications, in Environment type, select the type of Harness Environment for Applications, or Select All.
Harness separates Environments into two types, Production and Non-Production. This helps you set different budgets for development and production resources.
- In Budget Type, select a Budget type.
- Specified Amount: Enter the amount that you want to set as the budget limit.
- Previous Month Spend: Sets the previous month spent as your Budget.
- Click Next.
As an alternative, you can use Clusters to track your object.
Step 2: Configure Alert
- Set a threshold for the Percentage of Budget based on the Actual Cost or Forecasted Cost. Harness sends alerts when the Actual Cost or Forecasted Cost exceeds the threshold.
Harness will send an alert to Harness User Groups when the actual or forecasted cost exceeds a percentage of your monthly budget. For example, if today is Oct 11th then the Actual Cost is the spend from Oct 1st to Oct 10th. The Forecasted Cost is the Actual Cost until Oct 10th plus the projected cost from the 11th to 31st, based on the spend pattern of previous months.
- Add email addresses to receive budget notifications.
- Select the Harness User Group(s) to receive the email alerts. For information on setting up email alerts for User Groups, see Manage User Notifications.
- Click Submit.
Using the Budget Dashboard
The Budgets dashboard shows a summary of your budgets. By default, all your budgets are sorted based on the time created at.
The dashboard includes the following information:
- Name: Name of the budget.
- Type: The budgeted amount type. The amount can be specified or can be set to the previous month's spend.
- Applies to: The specified scope for a budget (Applications or clusters).
- Alert at: The thresholds set for the budget.
- Actual and budget amount: Your actual cost compared to your budgeted cost. The arrow indicates the budgeted amount.
Read Your Budget
The Budgets dashboard further shows you the details of your selected budget at a glance. Select a budget from the list to view the following information:
- Actual Vs. Budgeted: The actual incurred cost compared to your budgeted cost.
- Forecasted Vs. Budgeted: The forecasted cost compared to your budgeted cost. The forecasted cost is the prediction based on your past spend.
- Budget Details: The budget type, specified scope, and set threshold percentage for the budget.
- Budget Alert: The configured alert of your budget. It also displays the date when you configured this alert. For more information, see Configure Alert.
- Budget History: The monthly history of your budget. The dashboard displays the data as a chart and table. You can view, understand, and analyze your budget using either of them.
- Actual: The actual incurred cost.
- Budgeted: The budgeted amount.
- Budget variance: The difference between the budgeted and actual cost in percentage and dollars. The variance data is available only in the tabular format.
You can also Edit, Clone, and Delete a budget from the dashboard.
Edit a Budget
To edit a budget:
- Click Edit.
- The Budget settings appear. Follow the steps in Set Your Monthly Budget and Configure Alert to edit the details of the budget.
Clone a Budget
When you clone a budget, all its settings are cloned. You simply add a new name. Once it is cloned, you can edit it just as you would any budget.
To clone a budget:
- Click Clone. Clone Budget settings appear.
- Enter the Budget name and click Clone.
The cloned budget is displayed in the dashboard.
Delete a Budget
Once a budget is deleted, it cannot be restored.
To delete a budget:
- Click Delete.
- Click Confirm Delete.
The budget no longer appears in the dashboard.