AppDynamics Verification Overview
This guide describes how to set up Harness Continuous Verification features, and monitor your deployments and production applications using its unsupervised machine-learning functionality on AppDynamics.
If you require more flexibility than the standard integration outlined here, you also have the option to add AppDynamics as a Custom APM.
Walk through this guide in the following order:
AppDynamics enables you to monitor and manage your entire application-delivery ecosystem, from client requests straight through to your networks, backend databases, and application servers.
Harness Continuous Verification integrates with AppDynamics to verify your deployments and live production applications using the following Harness features:
- 24/7 Service Guard - Monitors your live, production applications.
- Deployment Verification - Monitors your application deployments, and performs automatic rollback according to your criteria.
This document describes how to set up these Harness Continuous Verification features and monitor your deployments and production applications using its unsupervised machine-learning functionality.
Microservices Environment using AppDynamics
Harness Verification and Impact Analysis
You set up AppDynamics and Harness in the following way:
- AppDynamics - Monitor your application using AppDynamics. In this article, we assume that you are using AppDynamics to monitor your application already.
- Verification Provider Setup - In Harness, you connect Harness to your AppDynamics account, adding AppDynamics as a Harness Verification Provider.
- Harness Application - Create a Harness Application with a Service and an Environment. We do not cover Application setup in this sequence. See Application Components.
- 24/7 Service Guard Setup- In the Environment, set up 24/7 Service Guard to monitor your live, production application.
- Verify Deployments:
- Add a Workflow to your Harness Application and deploy your microservice or application to the Service Infrastructure/Infrastructure Definition in your Environment.
- After you have run a successful deployment, you then add verification steps to the Workflow using your Verification Provider.
- Harness uses unsupervised machine-learning and AppDynamics analytics to analyze your future deployments, discovering events that might be causing your deployments to fail. Then you can use this information to set rollback criteria and improve your deployments.