Pivotal Cloud Foundry Overview
Harness provides support for the Pivotal Cloud Foundry (PCF) app development and deployment platform for public and private clouds. This guide describes how to deploy your containers to PCF using Harness, including route mapping.
Walk through this guide in the following order:
- Deployment Overview
- Delegate and Connectors for PCF
- Services for PCF
- PCF Environments
- PCF Workflows and Deployments
Setting up a PCF deployment in Harness is a simple process where you connect Harness to your artifact repo and PCF cloud, and then define the artifacts, PCF manifest, and target infrastructure, including route maps. Next you build Harness Workflows to deploy your artifacts to target infrastructure, including route map and unmap commands.
The following list describes the major steps we will cover in this guide:
- Delegate - Install the Harness Delegate on a host in your target VPC, such as an EC2 instance in AWS.
- PCF Cloud Provider - Add the PCF Cloud Provider. This is a connection to your PCF account. The PCF Cloud Provider uses your user account and the PCF API endpoint address.
- Harness Application - Create the Harness Application for your PCF CD pipeline. The Harness Application represents your PCF release process, and all the building blocks for its pipelines. Harness represents your PCF deployment using a logical group of one or more entities: Services, Environments, Workflows, Pipelines, Triggers, and Infrastructure Provisioners. Applications organize all of the entities and configurations in Harness CD.
- Harness Service - Create the Harness Service using the Pivotal Cloud Foundry type.
- Set up your PCF artifact source, manifest, and any config variables and files.
- Harness Environment - Create the Harness Environment containing the Service Infrastructure/Infrastructure Definition definition of your deployment environment, and any overrides of Service settings.
- Harness Workflow - Create the Canary or Blue/Green deployment Harness Workflow. This Workflow will deploy the Service (your PCF artifact and manifest) to the Environment.
- Deploy the Workflow.
- Advanced options not covered in this guide:
- Harness Pipeline - Create a Harness Pipeline for your deployment, including Workflows and Approval steps.
- Harness Trigger - Create a Harness Trigger to automatically deploy your Workflows or Pipeline according to your criteria. Typically, customers use a Trigger to execute a PCF Pipeline using the Trigger's On New Artifact condition. For more information, see Triggers.
- Harness Infrastructure Provisioners - Create Harness Infrastructure Provisioners, such as CloudFormation and Terraform, for your deployment environments. For more information, see Infrastructure Provisioners.
- Continuous Verification:
- Deployment Verification - Once you have successfully deployed you can add your APM and logging apps as Verification Providers, and then add Verify Steps to your Workflows. Harness will use its machine-learning to find anomalies in your deployments. For more information, see Continuous Verification.
- 24/7 Service Guard - Monitor your live applications, catching problems that surface minutes or hours following deployment. For more information, see 24/7 Service Guard.